Wednesday, April 9, 2014

~Bath House~

I always seem to come up with ideas on how to make things look and function better in my sleep.  Ya see....in our master bath, there was a pipe that ran up the wall on the outside of the drywall that drove me nuts.  I cannot stand for things to not look finished when everything else in the room is.  I could never figure out why the builder didn't enclose it.  Was it just an afterthought?


I tried camouflaging it with a shutter but it just wasn't working perfectly.  For years, I wanted to build a cabinet on top of the base beside the sink which hides the plumbing.  But we all know how that is...time flies by and I seem to be ADHD with ideas, jumping from one to another.

So finally, one early morning when I couldn't sleep too well, this came to me.


 I scowered the garage and my storage room for wood, moulding and the drawers that came from my old sewing machine cabinet that was Mammaw's.  I worked all day long figuring, measuring, cutting, nailing, and gluing.  I had no plan, I just made it up as I went along.


Sorry for the bad photo...it was late and I was tired.


Originally, I had visioned a door so that I could store shampoo, toilette paper and so on, but the outlet made that impossible!

Don't judge me with the drawers....evidently the drawers weren't square and the top of the base cabinet wasn't level.  I still need to sand them down to fit properly...but you get the idea.  I had already painted them a pale blue years ago and decided to leave them that color since they were blue.



So I thought I could then store my cotton ball container in it...but it was too wide at the lid.  I just left it here for the time being.

I knew a trip to Home Goods was a definite.... to find a slim and tall glass container to fit was the goal.

But until then, I did this.


Loved how the topiary looked. But not too crazy about the hand towels.


So off I went today and found this.  It was a an old timey straw container that was the perfect size!  I just had to take it apart to remove the guts that held the straws.


Perfect!  And the drawers hold the hubby's shaving stuff and toothpaste, tooth brushes ect.  All the little stuff....


I had a time with not being able to make ithe cabinet flush against the wall.  So I re-hung the moulding and then added the tin plaques to kind of hide the gap.  

But doesn't it look so much better than seeing that old pipe?  Plus it's more practical with it's use.  Not just clutter...


Well...then one thing led to another.  I had bought a shower curtain with the plans of not using it that way.  I was going to use it for new curtains.


Here's what I did have....


Now this....
Sorry for the wrinkles...but I like it that way.  The steam will eventually help release them...but I really do like wrinkles.


Ruffles are always prettier too! 



I added another tin to the bottom of the mirror since it is one of those cheapies to spruce it up a bit.


I love birdhouses...so I thought this looked cute here after I found a new cotton ball container.


And I love my "Shabby Chic" rose hooks!  


And of course...my new/old door!  The other door is one that we made years ago when we made the space into a closet.  This bathroom didn't have enough storage back then...but now it definitely does!  Every little bit of space we could find, we've used.


This photo was a card my Aunt Linda gave to me years ago when she moved away to Florida.   She has since passed away, but her humor lives on.  I sure do miss her giggles...


When I remodeled this bath, I knew I didn't want towel bars.  I wanted hooks.  This picture and metal scroll piece were the perfect size for the bare space in between.


 I love a lamp in the bathroom.  A very long time ago, I visited a beautiful home and she had a lamp on her sink...I fell in love!  So ever since, I've had one in each of our baths.


This bath may be small to many...but I love it!  It functions great and is pretty at the same time!


Sara bought this little sign for me one Christmas....now isn't that just the cutest sign?!!  But we don't skip baths on Sunday....


9 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore what you have done. Great job, and you should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great little carpenter! I love every detail in your bath house Melanie.....I always get some inspiration when you do a post! Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, what a great job you did on your bathroom. The chest looks terrific, do you hire out? LOL Your home is very lovely Melanie.
    Have a great weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie- What a perfect idea AND it added some extra storage for you. LOVE it- you did a wonderful job there. Everything you do is so very pretty. I just love your bathroom- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty Melanie. Very pretty indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet bathroom--I love the ruffles. I have the same shower curtain hooks--I love them too. Have a great day! --Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear, Melanie, you are one of the most resourceful people I know. Awesome details, and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie,
    Awesome solution. It looks so great and very functional too. Great job.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. So creative - the shelf is perfect for that spot!! This has to be the most charming bathroom I have ever seen, love all of your special touches.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping in...I love hearing from you! Hugs, Melanie