Saturday, August 30, 2014

Trying My Hand at Making Faux Cakes

Hey everybody....I hope you all are enjoying your weekend!  I know I have had a great week with my health and have felt better than I have in months.  I found out that I have (I guess Kidney stones, will find out for sure at my next DR appointment).  I think I may be on the right track at finding out what has caused me so many problems since last December.  Keep me in your prayers...I just want answers!

Now onto what I've been working on.  I love trying new things and thought I'd try my hand at making faux cakes and cupcakes.  Now before you all make fun of me, please know that I have never decorated a cake in my life other than just plain icing.  I think I tried "one time", when the girls were little, writing one of their names on their birthday cake.  It was a big FAIL!  So, I left that dream alone! I have seen so many beautiful cakes and started noticing some of them were fake.  Hmmm....my mind began to dream a bit again.  I thought with them being fake, it would give me room to "flub" up a little.  So today, I did it!


Sorry about the dark photo...it was past 10 pm.  I am pretty happy with my first try with piping.  I need to practice, but all in all, I am pretty pleased being that I've never done it before!


I wanted a cake for my pale pink cake stand my mother bought me a few years back for my birthday.   So I bought some foam which was the perfect size and stacked them just like a cake. 


 I used All Purpose Compound for the icing and mixed in some of my acrylic paint for the pink.  I am going to use Spackle next time since it is whiter and looks just like real icing.  Hey, I'm learning....


But, like I said, I am happy with my little faux cake for now.


Then I started working on some faux cupcakes.  This is a little more challenging than I thought, lol.  I'll work on them tomorrow afternoon.  Tonight wasn't the night.  But at least I have them all ready for tomorrow....


I used the spray foam for these...let's just say like with making real cupcakes, do not over fill because you'll regret it!  

I'm sure you all may have noticed,we have a little addition to our family....


His name is Louis (Louie) and was a stray.  We think he's around 4 of 5 months old.  After losing my sweet Oliver from heart disease, I just thought I'd never get another cat again.  My heart missed him so much since he was my therapy cat.  He always made me feel so much better.  Here, he fell asleep on my chest when I was having heart problems.  Little did I know that in a few months he would pass from his own heart.  Makes me cry just thinking about it all....


We haven't been able to have any animals inside due to our oldest daughter's severe allergies to dust mites and cats.  But she loves them.  I feel so sorry for her because she swells up like a tick, sneezes her head off and starts to have problems with her throat swelling.  Not good.  They could come in for a little while before she started having problems, but they'd have to go back out.  I always hated that and so did she.

We are trying Louis as an inside cat for now as long as we keep him in certain rooms and making sure Sara takes her allergy meds around the clock.  Also, I'm trying the Febreze Allergen Reducer.  Thank goodness I have slipcovers....that will help immensely with being able to wash them to help cut down on animal dander and dust mites.  


I sure hope this works because just look at this little guy...he's absolutely adorable and has a crazy personality!  So far, Sara has done ok and just told me tonight that maybe she'll be able to have a cat inside when she moves out.
( the crazy cat lady as she calls it)
She loves animals, especially cats...so I sure hope this all works out.






15 comments:

  1. I wonder how many people will try to take a taste of that icing before they realize the cake isn't real? It looks great, especially for your first try, and I can only imagine what how fabulous your future confections will be! As for the kitty, I knew he was for you the minute he appeared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful.I love the hutch so pretty.I just love Louie too.He's so cute.I hope the allergies stay away so Louie can be and inside cat.I had our male kitten fixed at 6 months and it helps with them not spraying to mark there territories.Hope your Dr.has some answers for you that would be wonderful to have it all resolved.(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a beautiful job being that it was your first time! I am not a very good cake decorator at all.What a sweet photo of Louis <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cake and cupcakes! I would love to try and hope mine look as good as yours the first time. Sweet baby kitty. Hope you are feeling in top form very very soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your cake--I have always make to make them but then decided by the time I bought all the "ingredients" I could probably just buy one someone else made :) Love your new kitty! I pray that you will be able to keep him inside and that the allergy things you are trying will work. Have a good Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry that you have been under the weather. Kidney stones are not fun and very very painful. Your faux cake and cupcakes look terrific. You are saving a lot of money making your own as they are so expensive in the stores.
    Love Louie - he is so darn cute and what a little personality.
    Keep feeling better and have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie,
    Your faux goodies look great. Your new little Louie is too sweet. Hope you can continue to keep him inside with you.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on the cake and Louie is precious! Thats my dogs name!! May I ask where you found the blue SS cabbage rose pillowcase? I have the pink set but now cant find the blue one anywhere. Hope youre feeling better soon and so sorry for the passing of your previous cat. Animals are such special creatures and hold a furever spot in our hearts.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cake... if you hadn't said, I would have thought that was real, store bought real! My MIL is an expert at cake decorating, she has done the cakes for all the weddings in our families, even up to 4 tiers and she has never had a class or anything! I think I will have her try her hand at this for me and my favorite cake stand... thanks for sharing it! Louie is adorable and I understand about allergies, my Sis and Daughter have cat allergies, but now that my Daughter is grown she has 5 cats. Me and my hubby have an adorable cocker spaniel and a gorgeous fat cat who is my buddy and follows me everywhere, both were rescues and I believe are Angels from Heaven to help us nurture, love and heal! l Glad your feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wait 5-7yrs and your daughter's allergies may be better. We change our allergies through our years and it does happen.
    My hubby of a many long 48 yrs. has always been allergic to cats. Sometimes not too bad so we had to help out our son-in-law who came down with asthma after he married our daughter with her long haired cat. So we now have a lovely large long haired cat and my husband who insisted he had allergies went to the Drs. and found out that he had no bad allergies and the feline one showed only a little and the dr. wouldn't treat him for it as it was so little. So now I have no remarks or insisting on his asthma or allergies. Dr. said we change about every 7 yrs. Yahoo! We hope to get a Labradoodle soon.
    You decorating and cake making ideas are fantastic. I love them and enjoy them. It gives me many ideas and new ways to keep my lace and white. Thank you so much! Nancy J.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your faux cake. No one would know you haven't been making them for years. Well done.
    *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your cake!! I've been wanting to try this also... good job xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cakes looks such romantic! I love them and your cat is very sweet
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Melanie-I am easing back into blogging after being away on break. LOVE your faux cakes!. Try "icing' your next cupcakes by filling a heavy-duty zip-lock bag with "icing" then snip a small hole in the end and squeeze the mixture out onto the cupcakes. Start at the outside edge and work your way in. They look like flowers-so pretty. You new kitty is VERY SWEET. I have never picked up another kitty to replace my Misty Moon. So sad to lose a cat you love so much. Happy Labor Day to your sweet family- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Melanie-I am easing back into blogging after being away on break. LOVE your faux cakes!. Try "icing' your next cupcakes by filling a heavy-duty zip-lock bag with "icing" then snip a small hole in the end and squeeze the mixture out onto the cupcakes. Start at the outside edge and work your way in. They look like flowers-so pretty. You new kitty is VERY SWEET. I have never picked up another kitty to replace my Misty Moon. So sad to lose a cat you love so much. Happy Labor Day to your sweet family- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping in...I love hearing from you! Hugs, Melanie