Friday, August 22, 2014

Building a Window Wall

My brother in law brought me 4 old windows someone was throwing out.  He has brought me several through the years and it always makes me so happy!

So, as you all have to know, my mind immediately started to think and thought up the idea to build a "window wall".  First I thought about making it for the living room, then the back deck, then downstairs for our master closet...but I still kept coming back to the living room.  

So, last night, Mike and I built one.  It took us about 4 hours to build it.


I had no clue it was going to turn out this huge!  And you all will be happy to know the hubby and I didn't spat one time...can you believe it?

I still needed to paint it all and add the feet, but over all I was tickled to death with how it turned out.  


This was the spot I wanted it.  I have had a window hanging here for years and I've always loved the open concept of the kitchen and living room.   But I have wanted some type of separation without blocking the open feeling.  

So I took down this window and hung it in our hallway.


Perfect!


This is my view when I come up the stairs.  I love this old window...simple but yet so detailed.


So here's the window wall....I am in love!


It's perfect for that separation I have wanted without blocking the view or making it feel like a true wall.  And the good part is that I can move it!


I really love how it looks from the kitchen!


And we can still see the TV from the island.


Who knew this would thrill me to death like it has?


We added the beadboard to the bottom  and trimmed it out with old lumber for the base.  I bought shelf brackets and added the wood to make the feet.   Mike thought they wouldn't be sturdy enough...but I told him this wasn't my first rodeo, I knew they would, lol.  He was surprised how sturdy it was!


And whenever I want to move the sofa to where the loveseat is, I'll still be able to slide the feet under the sofa.  


It doesn't take up much space either.  


I love how things look cozy now.


I hung a cross and an old piece of trim on this side.  I can't wait until Christmas now!  I have so many ideas!


Mike said to the girls, "she'll have it all wreathed up with lots of lights"....little does he know. 
 tee hee hee


 I grouped some lights together, the rooster and pig weather vane add a little farm feel to the kitchen side.


Look how pretty the chandelier looks all lit up behind it....


This is my spot now!



It's really made our home feel old...like way back in the good ole days...not like a 90's built home.  The older I can make this house, the happier I get!


And to make sure we have lots of natural light!  I want our home to feel cool in the Summer and warm in the Winter.  So far, so good!


I love having mirrors that reflect all of the light.  


I don't know if I ever showed you all this or not, but the piece below the candelabra came from an old light fixture.  I thought it looked so pretty as part of the base.  Reminds me of lace....


So there you have it...a window wall....I guess I invented a word, lol.



I love it!!!  I hope this inspires you  and that you all have a blessed weekend!



27 comments:

  1. Wow that looks amazingly awesome great job got such a creative mind always thinking I can just imagine what you'll do with that at Christmas it's lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you wouldn't disappoint and I knew you would have it done in no time. I love it!!!! This looks amazing. You have awesome ideas :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so beautiful, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to try this. It looks perfect in your home. I noticed your lovely area rugs and runners. Where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melanie! Lovely is all I can say......speechless is more like it lol! Would you mind telling me what color/brand you painted your walls in your house....I have just moved into a home and trying to decide on a white and it is killing me lol.....6 samples and so far nothing. I love white on white but never knew there were so many shades...thanks in advance.

    gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravissima!Che bella idea hai avuto con il muro-finestra!Amo ogni angolo della tua casa!Il divano è meraviglioso!Baci,Rosetta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!!! I love your house, very nice decorations you have!
    Hugs from Serbia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie, it's fantastic. You and Mike make such a great team. I love how you were inspired by Kris, too. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Melanie I love this. It is gorgeous. I love the way it divides the two rooms but does not block or feel closed in. Genius my friend. Love it.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm... Guess who has a few old windows gathering dust in the garage??!! I see a window wall in my future :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea you had. Love all the the fantastic photos. Thank you so much for sharing.
    *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful. I have not been following you for very long and am in love with your love-seat. Did you make the seat cover yourself or purchase it? I want one. It appears that your love-seat is about the same size and style as mine. It still has lovely bones, but truly needs a new cover. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melanie your window wall is so beautiful. You are so lucky to have a hubby that helps you construct your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! Where did you find your beautiful ruffled slipcover?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its all just so beautiful!!! Great to have a man who can live with all the girly. Bless his heart my late husband was like that to. You are very lucky to have a handy man and he has you what a team.. Beautiful job....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh! That window wall/divider is absolutely gorgeous. It's a very classy partition option if one has an open floor plan. Your house is as beautiful as ever. Thank you so much for sharing those lovely pictures! Happy homemaking!

    Lynne Hollaran @ Suburban Glass

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never would have thought of that. I love it, great divider yet still open. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow!i live in a converted chapel in the uk,not brave enough to go white so cream it is.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Melanie: the Window wall is fantastic! 2 questions- how did you connect the windows to each other? and then how did you connect the windows to the posts? Looking forward to hearing from you. thanks D

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I have the money, I'll do the same design in my home! So pretty! May I ask who or where did you get the slipcover?! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. THat is just so freaking cute.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is absolutely beautiful! I will be on the hunt for a couple more old windows to go with the 2 I have...definitely doing this amazing project! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is by far the most beautiful room divider I have ever seen! I love love love it! Can you come do my house?! Hahahaa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping in...I love hearing from you! Hugs, Melanie