Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A little cake decorating

I have had this piece that came off of an old china cabinet in the garage.  I loved the lines, carried it everywhere in the house, looking for some place to use it.  It just never hit me, so it's been stored for a few years until the other night.  Hannah and I were the only two home and I was itching to do something.

So this is what I did.


The bottom piece was the cornice I had over a guest room window.  It matched up perfectly to the top piece along the bottom.  I just had to cut the top piece sides down to fit.


Hannah helped me hold it while I cut it with the chop saw.  Then using construction adhesive and some screws, I attached the two together.
 Perfect!


This where my so called cake decorating skills came into play.  I'm still learning, lol.

I really should have done this before hanging the cornice...it would have made it so much easier, rather than standing on a stool playing a balancing act.

I free handed it all the way across....which I am still amazed that I was able to keep it pretty level with the scallops.

Rather than trying to make roses, I used cake flowers found at Michael's in the cake decorating aisle. I had some left over from when I had made faux cupcakes.

See the difference in the colors?  The roses are cream while the spackle is a light grayish white.

I planned on painting all of it once dry from all of the construction adhesive.



See how much prettier it is painted?



With the two cornices attached and then taken to the ceiling, it allows the window to actually look larger than it really is.




Of course, one thing always leads to another.  I made some new pillows and curtains.  The panels I had here for the closet weren't gathered enough, so I put them at the window and then made these.



Hanging the little cabinet on the wall gave some free space on the chest of drawers.




I switched lamps and the mirror over the chest too.



  It's little touches like this that make a big difference to me.



I have had this wall grate for many years.  Very heavy, but beautiful!  It originally served as a headboard until I found this one.



This bedroom used to be Hannah's before we moved down stairs so she could have our room.  So now it is a guest room and where my Mother loves to sleep.  It may be small, but it has everything a person could need...a place to sit, a place to store clothes in two chests along with a closet and a full bed to sleep comfortably.  

One last thing...I found this cute crystal lamp at Home Goods the other day.  It was the perfect height for our office desk.  I bet you all can tell I made the shade cover, can't you?  I have to have my little white ruffles!



So that's it with my cake decorating and sewing.  Have a blessed week!




12 comments:

  1. Love your cornice you made Melanie. So sweet and pretty. The room looks gorgeous.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word girl you are beyond amazing! the added touches to everything (thinking roses on cornice right now). complete it all.

    I'm drooling again, and again, and again....

    hugs and blessings
    and thanks for making my day beautiful, via your lovely home.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have an amazing sense of style and an amazing amount of energy! I love how you transform a space...pure magic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the new look to my room! Gonna have to try it out REAL soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT idea to use cake flowers!!! it is GORGEOUS!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new cornice is amazing - a beautiful addition for your window. Love your creativity. Enjoy your blog. Thanks for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a grand idea! It looks so pretty!

    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Melanie! I'm a newcomer. You're blog is adorable! I've already contacted several friends and told them to look at it. I have a questions for you. I'm hosting a bridal shower for my beautiful future daughter-in-law. I saw a post of yours dated January 29 (no year) that was entitled “Top 10 Dollar tree Valentines Decor and more!” I would love to use the crystal hurricanes with white stands for the centerpieces. Can you please tell me where I can get them? Debbie at Debbie Doo thought they may have come from the Dollar Tree.
    Many thanks! Deena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melanie,
    I was pinning pretty pics on pinterest this morning and came across your blogspot. Oh my, I love your decorating style! Everything is absolutely gorgeous! I have added you to my favourite bloglist! I am your newest blog admirer! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh so very pretty!! Fantastic idea using the cake flowers - less expensive than the rose appliques - simply genius!!! Your home is so warm and welcoming, I love all of your special touches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just love you chair slip covers. Could you do tutorial on how to make them?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping in...I love hearing from you! Hugs, Melanie