Thought I'd share the utility room.
After many shopping trips looking for cabinets, seeing the prices, I decided to figure out something else.
I even looked at Habitat, but never seen the right size or style that I was wanting.
The before will show just how much space was lost.
All that wall space was being wasted and that cabinet just didn't look right in the corner. Plus, do you notice those electrical outlets? I hated them being so high and seen!
So...I came up with the idea of cutting the cabinet into two. I know...GASP!
But I had had it for over 15 years and it just wasn't serving the purpose very well.
That's my ACDC loving husband getting ready to measure and taking the hinges off.
And here it is. Perfectly in two pieces. Didn't Mike do a good job?!
He thinks so!
And this is after we done A LOT or hard work to get them hung. We had to make a base for one and a top for the other, jigsaw the bottom back for the electrical outlets(YAY), measure and find studs to mount them on and then my job was to start painting.
Did you notice the window?
I finally got a huge window ledge for things. I have my idea as to what I'm putting there...but you'll have to wait a little to see.
Now all the things you've seen so far didn't cost one cent until now. I decided that I didn't want to use the existing doors since they were inset. I thought it'd look too primitive.
So, off to Lowes I went. Beadboard paneling, trim, more paint and glass knobs were my purchases...along with two small baskets. A total of $40....anyone could afford a remodel like this couldn't they?!
We made the doors and they couldn't have turned out any better in my book!
Then I began to sew. I had a few pieces of the Cherry Blossom fabric left and some eyelet that was Mammaw's. I know she's smiling down on me right now and proud that I am using her things.
I love the window!!!
And I had enough to make the little skirt under the table to hide the trash can! Did I mention that this little table was a free junk item? SCORE!
We used some of it to make the top for one of the cabinets and this was left. It fit perfectly! It's perfect for storing one of my laundry baskets instead of on top of the dryer.
Lot's of painting went on in here...everything is white-white and I couldn't be any happier!
And here she is...if any of you haven't figured out by now that I absolutely HATE doing laundry, well, you know now!
I am hoping that now, since my storage issues are addressed, that I will feel a little more at home doing that dreaded chore!
I even tackled these doors...they were in need of a good cleaning and some fresh paint. The glass knobs were bought at Home Goods for $7. One of the knobs screw was broken and they had them marked down "as is"...I knew I could fix it! So the closet doors got the extra two.
This cabinet was in the garage storing tools and junk a long, long time ago. One day I had the bright idea of bringing it in here. It's had many paint jobs, but this is my favorite. Perfect for folding laundry!
Hopefully you can see just how big the laundry room is. The closet is the whole width of the room and stores the laundry baskets, towels and Mike's work clothes...along with the mop, broom and sweeper. Lots of storage!
It is adjoined to the bathroom. I love how the two flow together. That was my Mama's design when she had this house built.
WE have a lot of things that need air dried, so I have tried to create things to hang on. The little cabinet opens up and folds out for bars that can have things to lay flat. It was a super find for me years ago!
I had the rug stored away and thought about it last night. It needed a little something on the floor, so I love it!
I made the chandy a few months ago, it works and looks perfect in the middle of the window now. And I was able to store my ironing board beside the dryer. I originally had it stored in the closet, but I iron a lot, so this is easier to pull out when needed.
So there ya have it...all finished and serving my needs very well!
Now I'm off to do some laundry....