Friday, November 15, 2013

A New Look for an Old Dress

I was scrolling through fb the other night and saw a coat that I really liked.  It was white with poofy sleeves, fitted and had a mid thigh skirt for the bottom.
That's when the idea hit me!
I had a blue jean dress coat that I have held onto for some time but knew I wouldn't be wearing it because it was so out dated.  I started googling photos of blue jean jackets with ruffles and this is one that I really liked!

I love how it was fitted at the waist and had the two layers for the skirt.  Wish I was that skinny!!!

So I pulled out my dress and started fooling around with it.


About 10 years ago, this was in...can you believe it? 
I like hanging onto things for costumes or extra fabric or for whatever I can think of.  
So glad I did!

This is what I came up with....


I wanted lots of ruffles...making it look similar to a petticoat.  I found some fabric that was Mammaw's and some lace for the trim.  I cut off the cuffs and half of the dress.  I ripped off the pockets on the chest too.  I knew I wanted ruffles in their place.  I tried making it more fitted....that took me a few tries.  I added darts to the back and then added the cuffs to the back around the waist.  I really liked how it was turning out.


I then added ruffles to the sleeves in place of the cuffs, then added lace above them.  I cut the skirt in sections trying to make it lay right.  Then I added lace to finish it off.


Pardon the mirror...I didn't realize it was a little dirty.  I added  ruffles to the collar, to the middle button down part and then I rounded the front to show the ruffles underneath.  I left the cuffs around the waist open in the middle for a belt but then decided to not do one.  But hey, I can always do one later.  Wink Wink





I felt like it needed a little something extra for the back so I made a lace bow.  I love it!  
I feel like a pirate! lol

The hubby really likes it because he says that my 
"ba donka donk" is highlighted by all of the ruffles...he's a butt man (thank goodness because I definitely have one!)



I love reworking clothes...I do it for the girls too.  They bring me things and say can you do this like I am some miracle worker!  But I try and they seem to like them.  I did this when I was in school too....I kinda was like Molly Ringwald in Pretty in Pink.

I know many won't like this because it may not be their taste...but I loved it and wanted to share what I've been working on.  

Thanks for stopping by, 
     xxxooo


13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous make over...love how you think outside the box and the end result is way better than the begining....thanx for sharing.....your an amazing sewer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Melanie--you never cease to amaze me! I adore this--I so want one just like this...adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt you can do it!!! I'd love to do one in pinks!!!

      Delete
  3. You are very talented. Beautiful jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love it and it fits you so good. Ruffles makes anything prettier:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie,
    This is so cute. I follow you on pinterest and saw what you were pinning and new you would come up with something really cute. This is so sweet. Great job.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie that is so pretty! Love those ruffles! You know have a beautiful one of a kind!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I absolutely love it! I'm not a fan of conventional clothing and think that something like this really expresses a person's personality! You did a fabulous job and I hope you'll wear it proudly and frequently! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty makeover. I love the ruffles : )

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping in...I love hearing from you! Hugs, Melanie